Lungworm

Lungworm is a parasite that dogs can pick up from infected snails, slugs and frogs this also applies to snails and slug trails.

Dogs infected with lungworm can have serious side effects such as coughing, breathing problems, blood clotting problems or neurological signs such as seizures. We have seen several cases of lungworm in dogs in the local area recently.

We advise that your dog is treated with a lungworm preventative product such as Nexgard Spectra every month. This is particularly important if your dog is coming in for an operation. Sometimes the first sign of a lungworm infection can be excessive bleeding during surgery, which can be life-threatening.

Remember Nexgard Spectra is available on our Pet Health Club but you must be using it monthly. Please speak to one of our team if you would like more information, or to purchase lungworm preventative treatment for your dog.

Aches and Pains

Cold damp weather can unmask signs of arthritis in dogs and cats, and now is a great time to take a good look at your pets and make sure they are comfortable.

Do they seem stiff or lame? Do they have difficulty getting up or lying down? Does it take a while for them to get going in the morning? If so, your pet will benefit from a check over to identify any problems and work out how best to treat them. The joints that are most susceptible to arthritis are the most movable joints called synovial joints. The ends of the bones that meet at these joints are covered by very smooth articular cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid.

Pets with arthritis, this protective cartilage is damaged and worn away, resulting in exposure of the underlying bone causing pain and inflammation. Although arthritis cannot usually be cured, there are several things we can do to help; such as weight control, exercise regimes, special diets, food supplements, and medication. If your pet is showing any signs of arthritis, please make an appointment to see one of our vets.

Happy Retirement Stephen Speak

On Friday, 1st February, we said goodbye to our Steve. He has sent the following message –

Saying goodbye to Meridian after so many years was a huge step for me and I was so touched and moved by all the lovely comments, cards and presents. It was actually quite overwhelming. We have always tried hard at Meridian to provide the best service and care that we can and it was wonderful to feel that that was recognised and appreciated by all our friends that have brought their pets to us over the years.

We had a party for all the staff on Saturday 2nd Feb and it was great to have a drink (or two) with all the team members, past and present. Fortunately, my family didn’t embarrass me too much.

I know that I will see many of you again, whenever that may be and whatever the circumstances but in the meantime thank you again so much and take care.

Much Love,

Steve


With the imminent arrival of spring in Sussex, many of us will be looking forward to spending more time outdoors – as will our cats and dogs.

But did you know that our gardens harbour an array of pet health hazards?

Warmer weather and lighter evenings equal more time spent enjoying our gardens. But while many of the plants that we commonly keep are beautiful to look at, they can also cause serious damage to our pets.

For example, bulbs of popular flowers such as daffodils can prove deadly if eaten. Other toxic plants – including tulips, snowdrops, lily of the valley and aconite, potentially cause serious internal problems, even death.

Sadly, there are no specific antidotes to these dangerous plant toxins, so if you notice any signs of poisoning e.g. excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, appearing ‘drunk’ or even collapsing – contact us immediately for emergency veterinary treatment.

Many of us will bring flowers indoors as bouquets but remember lilies carry pollen so poisonous that it can cause irreversible kidney failure if ingested by curious cats.

As well as toxic plants, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilisers all need to be kept in a safe place as these can lead to serious problems if swallowed. Preventing access to plants that have already been treated with such chemicals is essential. Please consider using safer non-toxic alternatives instead.

Spring means fleas, ticks, and other parasites which really make their presence felt. With populations increasing dramatically, this can result in widespread discomfort and possible transmission of other diseases.

Just like us, dogs and cats can develop allergies to plants, pollens, and grasses. Itchy skin, ear problems, runny eyes, behaviour changes, and occasionally hair loss can develop.

As with all conditions, the sooner pets are treated, the better their chances of recovery. But prevention is always key, so make sure your dogs and cats aren’t tempted by spring flowers, and your pet’s parasite control is all up to date.

If you’re worried your pet has eaten something, he/she shouldn’t have, please give us a call as soon as possible.